Powered By Blogger

Friday, November 21, 2008

"What I tell you in the dark..."

"What I tell you in the dark, speak in the daylight; what is whispered in your ear, proclaim from the roofs." - Jesus (Matthew 10:27 NIV)

I read from Matthew 10, verses 16 through 42 this morning, and the above verse caught my attention the most. There were others that pricked my ears and heart this morning, and you'll hear about them a little later, but for some reason, this one really struck a chord. I think, partly, because I can't find any commentary on that verse. It comes in the middle of a paragraph of scripture that has produced more studying than this little verse. But, for whatever reason, God was speaking this to me this morning.

I believe it implies a quiet time. For me, it is early in the morning when it is still dark. I also believe it implies an intimate relationship with the Son (and Father and Spirit), as he will whisper in my ear. I think it can also be indicative of the relationship between Christ and his bride (us - the church).

While this verse speaks of relationship and time together with Christ, it is also obviously a call to action. We are to share what we learn from our saviour. First, we are to spend time, in private (in the dark/whispered in your ear), with him, then we publicly (in daylight/from the roofs) share what he told us. So, today, start to spend time with your Lord, in private, in the dark, and allow him to whisper in your ear, and then share that good news with others. Be encouraged.

Soli Deo Gloria

No comments: