Powered By Blogger

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Hearing God Speak

It's really a humbling event. It doesn't matter when, where, or how, it always gets me. There's a song with the lyrics, "Left my fears by the side of the road/hear You speak/won't let go". That's how I feel. Once I hear God speak, it won't let go of me. So, I have to make this latest conversation real for me. You know, before the enemy tries to convince me that I didn't hear correctly.

Yesterday, on the way back from Taco Bell with food for my wife and parents, I drove past one of the local EMS stations. An ambulance pulled out with lights flashing and sirens blaring, followed by an EMS truck. Moved to say a prayer for the wisdom and skills of the EMTs to help save a life, emotions started welling up inside of me.

Earlier this year, I had a prophetic word spoken over me, and in it God said that he had given me his mind - that I had a brilliant mind.

So, I said, "Father, You have given me your mind, would it be too much to ask for your heart also? You ask for my heart and mind, can I not have both your heart and mind?"
"I gave my life for you. Will you give me yours?"


I drove on. What a question. More emotions.

"Father, I give You my life. All I have is yours. I give you my
heart, my mind, my life - it's yours. Whatever You want."

"Preach for me."


Tears. "One more time; I don't want to miss it."

"Preach for me."


By this time, I'm doing everything I can to keep from looking like I'm having an emotional break down inside my car. Even now, the emotions fight their way out. I am Yours, O God.

"Preach for me."


Wow.

When I delivered the food to my parents house, I tried to wipe away the tears before entering, because I didn't want my mother to think that getting Taco Bell for them was a distressful time for me.

Long ago, I started in youth ministry. Always wanted to preach. Always wanted to pastor my own church. (birth)

As time wore on, that desire evolved. I started saying things like, "I know I'm called to ministry, but I don't know what kind of ministry." Eventually, after 10+ years in "the ministry", I left. I knew it was time to not be on staff at a church for awhile. (death)

I'm in radio. I enjoy it most of the time. I help with the sound at the church. I've got a group of buddies with whom we hang out and discuss God things. In fact, we just went camping to hang out with God this weekend. Then, unexpectedly, God shows up on the way home from Taco Bell.

"Preach for me." (resurrection)


Will you help me pray this through? I understand that preaching for God is not necessarily the same as pastoring a church. I've also had apostolic words spoken over me, by the way, so I know that there are a plethora of ways to preach for God. (bonus points to those of you who immediately thought of The Three Amigos when you read the word plethora)

Thank you for praying. Thank you for listening (reading). It's life changing... It's humbling... Hearing God speak.

2 comments:

Ronny Babione said...

Okay! Oh my GOODNESS!! Yesterday you drive by to say that you are driving by with the food, but you don't give a clue, in sound nor in speech, about having a Godly moment. It is amazing how little of God's work it takes to set us off, or to put it another way, to touch us. All we have to do is let go and think about it just the littlest bit, and POW!! There it is is - GOD AT WORK, or God speaking to us. So proud of you. Love ya!!! Dad (Your paternal one.)

Tobias Valdez said...

I am here and will help you pray this through, my friend. As I've told you before, I am so blessed to have you and your family close by again. You guys are such an encouragement to me and the fam. Thanks for sharing your journey with us.