Powered By Blogger

Saturday, September 6, 2008

A Peculiar People of Power

I preach tomorrow in the church in which I grew up. It's especially exciting since I received my mandate from God. I also feel like events are at work right now for more opportunities to that end. I don't know what they are, but I can just sense God doing somethin'.

Now, I'm breaking out a previous sermon and tweaking it just a little. You'd think since I've given it before, I would do a bang up job this time. We'll see. The sermon is based on a poem written by Andrew Jones. Sorry, not the baseball player (he's not doing very well this season at all), but a pioneer in the missional and emerging church scene, particularly in Europe.

The last line of the poem is the title for my sermon:

We are his wonderful signature
a sign of his favor
his presence
power
to change
the world back
to how it should be
healed and harmonious
a peculiar people of power

A short synopsis of the message:
The Greek word used in the new testament, peripoiesis, (bonus points for correct pronunciation or at least the funniest) means a valued personal possession, which is worth obtaining and worth preserving. The King James Version uses the word "peculiar" to translate it. Why? Because the original meaning of that word was, "private property, special; belonging exclusively to one person or group." That's a far cry from today's odd, strange, or queer.

So, in 1 Peter 2:9, when Peter calls us a peculiar people, he doesn't mean strange or odd (although we seem to take it that way). He's telling us that we are treasured by God, belonging exclusively to him. That's way cooler than God's strange little people!

The power comes from the Holy Spirit. 2 Peter 1:3 says, "His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness."

So, stand up! Be strengthened! You are not called to be a queer people for some distant deity, you are a treasured possession of the Most High God, full of the power of the Holy Spirit. You are a peculiar people of power!

1 comment:

Babione 6 said...

I love this one! Can't wait to hear it revised.

Love you, babe.

Bridy

And your text message made my day!