Powered By Blogger

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Enter the Fight

ACF opens its staff prayer time in the morning to the congregation on Tuesdays through Fridays. The theater (which we own and in which we meet) isn't but a couple of blocks from where I work, so I walk to prayer when I can make it. Lately, I've been able to go 3 or 4 times a week.

Yesterday, walking to prayer, these words flashed through my mind:
"Enter the Fight"
I was already a little jazzed from a morning espresso, but I was just overall excited about things. Our men's retreat is coming up this weekend, Bridge and I are doing "the special" on Sunday, and I had just successfully arranged a rehearsal with some of what I'm going to call Kingdom Band to play the song on Sunday, too. So, I had a few things going my way.
"Enter the Fight"
Ok, so a few thoughts: I didn't figure God was wanting me to pick a fight with someone; I knew that "our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms" (Eph. 6:12), and, at the time, I felt it meant by singing a song I had written. You know, I was entering the fight with a tool or weapon that I had made.

Then, we started to pray. God immediately revealed a whole new world of warfare to me. This was the fight to which He was referring. Believe it or not, prayer is spiritual warfare. God calls us all to enter the fight. We enter the fight by hitting our knees. (How many of you actually hit your knees, or kneel, while praying?)

We also enter the fight in other ways. Singing, writing, painting, building, using your gifts for His glory are all ways to enter the fight. How many of you have been moved by a song, a poem, a good book, a piece of art or photograph, a magnificent structure? Inspiration, conviction, love, mercy - these come from godly things. Condemnation, hatred - these come from ungodly things.

So, you who are prayer warriors; you who are writers, artists, musicians, craftsmen, enter the fight! Stand up and be counted. Remember, "for though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds." (2 Cor. 10:3-4)

Your songs may not be sung nor heard by everybody, but you don't stop writing or singing; your books may not be read by everyone, but you don't stop writing; your hand-made jewelry may not be worn by every person, but you don't stop making it. To someone, somewhere, your gifts make a difference. God gets the glory, and that is always a good thing. "Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power." (Eph. 6:10)

Soli Deo Gloria

No comments: